Year: 2014

AppleScript to instant sort Tilia-ready data

The software Tilia, well known from palaeoecologists, needs the user to specify a group code for each taxa. The obvious question after that, is to sort all these data so that taxa with the same group code are gathered together. One could use the custom sort fonction from Excel, or use this AppleScript:

Continue reading →
Posted by Benjamin in Software, 0 comments

Freeze Excel panes, with AppleScript

Browsing large dataset in Excel can be tricky sometimes, as one almost always wants to refer to row and column names. Excel provides a feature for this, called “freeze panes”, but the interface is not practical at all (Microsoft…). Here is a handy AppleScript to activate/deactivate on-the-go this feature. Just select the cell from which you want to freeze the panes, and run the script [I would suggest, from Alfred 🙂 ].

Continue reading →
Posted by Benjamin in Software, 0 comments

Tilia Ergonomics – Generate taxa codes and groups

Many palaeoecologists and other scientists working with stratigraphical data use Tilia as a software for production and visualization of quality time-series graph. This software from Eric C. Grimm needs you to present your data in a particular way, so as to work properly. There is nothing difficult here, just something to pay attention about.

Continue reading →
Posted by Benjamin in Software, 0 comments

I got an IDEA

I’m starting an exciting and elegant new personal project. You’ll know more about this in the next weeks/months, but here is something I can tell you already. One of the major prerequisite for this project is something I named Interactive and Dynamic Event Assessment, and Julien is currently “cracking the code” for this.

Otherwise, you probably heard about my new online paper. Next are coming soon!

Posted by Benjamin in Software, 0 comments

Where you can count more than 135 taxa

I already wrote about PolyCounter, this software that I like so much to count pollen and other objects within palynological slides. PolyCounter comes with 3 layers of 45 keys (i.e., taxa) each, so as to say a potential of 135 taxa to count. It’s a lot! But sometimes it’s not enough. For instance, it took me several months of counting to design and improve my template. The taxa are ordered in a meaningful way to me, ensuring a faster counting. The counterpart is that I want to always use the same template, and some rare or ephemeral taxa are not included. There is a solution for this. It’s actually a tip directly from Takeshi Nakagawa: just open a second PolyCounter! You now have a potential of 270 taxa! Of course pay attention to save your data in a different file, and when all your countings are done, simply merge your data together.

Posted by Benjamin in Software, 0 comments

So much to write

I’ve been writing so much last days on several manuscripts at the same time that, paradoxically, I haven’t taken time to write something on my weekly report. So here it is: I’ve been writing a lot in the last days 😛

I am currently preparing some more samples to analyze during the long wintery quiet Saturdays, and I will be back to writing during “weekdays”.

Additionally: I enhanced a lot my age-depth model plots with R!

Posted by Benjamin in Lab Notes, 0 comments

Introduction Course to R

I gave today a relaxed “hands-on” course to R, to introduce some colleagues to the syntax of this reference software for statistical analyses and production of peer-reviewed-journals quality graphs. After a brief explanation of what R is, I explained the major elements of the R language, and guided my colleagues to produce a live linear model and graph on a simple dataset. Then they replicated by their own the procedure on another dataset (according to the scientific method), and presented the results and conclusion to the audience.

Posted by Benjamin in Teaching, 0 comments